When it comes time to get the wee ones up and out the door, I always feel like I'm behind. The start to the day for us frequently portends how the rest of the day will go. If we don't get it started right, we can kiss the day goodbye. That's one of the reasons a good breakfast is something on which I don't compromise. It isn't always the same thing, but I require that it's something that incorporates protein (yay scoops of peanut butter) and whole grains - and is something the wee ones will eat.
The majority of the time, the wee ones eat oatmeal. They love it, but sometimes they want something different. I was recently sent a box of a new Cheerios flavor - dulce de leche. It was perfect for us, as the wee one are fascinated by all things dulce de leche thanks to her Spanish class. She so wanted to try the dulce de leche Girl Scout cookies she was selling but couldn't because they contain dairy. Let's just say there was a little light in her eyes when she realized the Cheerios don't have any dairy and she could eat them. Me? I was happy with the 19 grams of whole grains per serving offered by the Dulce de Leche Cheerios.
The wee ones couldn't wait to try them out. We had to flip for who got to eat them out of the super cute bowl that also came with the cereal package I received from MyBlogSpark. I do wish that the only sweetener used was pure sugar or agave, but this at least doesn't have any high fructose corn syrup - something my family avoids eating. That said, there are 6 grams of sugar per serving, far less than the yogurt the wee ones like. The bowl was happily scarfed up, and the wee ones are begging to see when they can have it again.
Of course, I didn't just leave it as a cereal to be eaten. Nope. I have a bake sale at Little Miss's school on Friday, so I decided to make a treat for it using the Dulce de Leche Cheerios. There are several recipes on the General Mills website using the new Cheerios flavor. I ended up choosing the Dulce de Leche Cheerios Bars, although of course I modified them a bit. I chose them partly because they looked and sounded really good and partly because I already had all the ingredients in my pantry. Or ummm most of them. I'll post my version of the recipe on Honest & Truly! for tomorrow's Tasty Tuesday.
They turned out really, really good. I am currently working to fight my husband off eating them so that we have enough left for the bake sale. Wish me luck!
Want to win a prize pack like I received with a box of Dulce de Leche Cheerios, a beautiful bowl, a spoon, and a dulce de leche scented candle? You can...So what do you have to do to win the prize pack? First of all, let me stress that you must follow all the rules. If you do not follow the rules, your entry will not count!
This contest is open until Monday February 20 at 7pm CST. I must have a valid way to reach you, so leave me your email address in your comment or be sure your profile has your email address visible. No duplicate comments will count. This giveaway is open to US residents age 18 and older. Winners will be selected via random.org and must respond within 48 hours of being notified by me or I will select a new winner.
Mandatory Entry: Tell me: What Dulce de Leche recipe would you try with your box?
Bonus Entries (leave a comment for each entry - if you put it all in one comment, I'll count it as one entry):
1) Earn one additional entry for following me on Twitter, then tweeting this contest with the following tweet: "I entered to win a Cheerios Dulce de Leche prize pack #giveaway from @honestandtruly. Have you? http://bit.ly/AgBdr1" (leave a link to your tweet as your comment and make sure you do all the steps!)
2) Earn one additional entry by following this review blog publicly via Google Friend Connect.
3) Earn one additional entry by following my “regular” blog Honest & Truly! publicly via Google Friend Connect.
4) Earn one additional entry by liking Honest & Truly! on Facebook. (Yay, it's legal again, so long as you know you have to leave a comment here to enter and that simply liking me isn't the entry, along with acknowledging the fact that Facebook has nothing to do with this giveaway whatsoever.
5) Earn an additional entry by putting me in your Google Plus circle. Am I already in your G+ circle? No problem - just leave a comment letting me know that you've added me or already have me there.
In the interest of full disclosure, I received a sample prize pack as described above and the recipes described courtesy of Cheerios and General Mills via MyBlogSpark. I received no compensation, and all opinions remain my own.