We all know people with dietary restrictions these days. While I knew no one who had any allergies or other issues when I was growing up, it's everywhere now. In fact, I went walking with a friend today who is expecting her doctor's call at any moment with the results of testing telling her that she is gluten intolerant.
The good news for people with allergies and food intolerances is that there are so many more food options for people now - something for which I'm constantly grateful given Little Miss's dairy allergy. Yoplait now has a line of lactose free yogurt for those who are lactose intolerant (though with her dairy allergy, Little Miss can't have them).
I had the opportunity to try the Yoplait lactose free yogurt, and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. Or I was once I managed to find the yogurt. They aren't carried everywhere, but I discovered a great General Mills product locator that told me what stores near me had carried the yogurt within the past 90 days, and voila!
I chose the peach yogurt because peach is one of my favorites, but there are also strawberry, cherry (not at my store), and vanilla varieties available. I was interested to see on the packaging that the lactose free yogurt contains twice the calcium of the leading yogurt (50% of your RDV) and of course contains the probiotics everyone's talking about as so important for digestive health.
In looking at the ingredients, I was pleasantly surprised to see that not only was there no high fructose corn syrup (something we avoid in our house), but the sweetener wasn't an artificial sweetener. I have a very sensitive palate when it comes to artificial sweeteners, and they leave a bitter aftertaste for me. This was sweetened only with actual sugar and fruit. I usually have to purchase plain yogurts and add my own preserves, so this was a treat for me.
And the peach yogurt tasted good. Had I not known from the packaging that it was lactose free, I would never have guessed. It was just as creamy and rich and satisfying as regular yogurt is. The texture was the same, too - something I can't always say about the soy and coconut based "yogurts" Little Miss can eat. I love that those who have a lactose intolerance have yet another food they can add back onto their lists!
Just like other yogurts, this is not shelf stable and has to be kept in the fridge - or at least at fridge like temperatures. The rest of the Yoplait prize pack would help me do this... had I not eaten the yogurt the second I walked in the door. And yes, I have a prize pack to give away, too. It includes the little insultated lunch tote, 2 gel freezer packs, a bowl, a spoon, and a coupon for a free Yoplait Lactose Free Yogurt. (Note, my prize pack did not include the spoon or the second gel pack.) Definitely worth a try, don't you think?
So what do you have to do to win? First of all, let me stress that you must follow all the rules. If you do not follow the rules, your entry will not count! That means that please please please leave your contact information. If I cannot get ahold of you, you cannot win!
This giveaway is open until Sunday March 18 at 7pm CST. I must have a valid way to reach you, so leave me your email address in your comment or be sure your profile has your email address visible. No duplicate comments will count. This giveaway is open to US residents age 18 and older. Winners will be selected via random.org and must respond within 24 hours of being notified by me or I will select a new winner.
Mandatory Entry: Tell me: What flavor of the lactose free Yoplait yogurt sounds most appealing to you?
Bonus Entries (leave a comment for each entry - if you put it all in one comment, I'll count it as one entry):
1) Earn one additional entry for following me on Twitter, then tweeting this contest with the following tweet: "Dairy give you tummy trouble? Try Yoplait's Lactose free yogurt via a #giveaway from @honestandtruly http://bit.ly/xi5HaU #myblogspark" (leave a link to your tweet as your comment and make sure you do all the steps!)
2) Earn one additional entry by following this review blog publicly via Google Friend Connect.
3) Earn one additional entry by following my “regular” blog Honest & Truly! publicly via Google Friend Connect.
4) Earn one additional entry by liking Honest & Truly! on Facebook. (Yay, it's legal again, so long as you know you have to leave a comment here to enter and that simply liking me isn't the entry, along with acknowledging the fact that Facebook has nothing to do with this giveaway whatsoever.
5) Earn an additional entry by putting me in your Google Plus circle. Am I already in your G+ circle? No problem - just leave a comment letting me know that you've added me or already have me there.
In the interest of full disclosure, I received a prize pack as described above from Yoplait via MyBlogSpark. I received no compensation, and all opinions remain my own.